country agnostic digital working
so it got me thinking while I was making the referral video for skillshare. being smack back in the middle of Brexit, here in the UK as we decide on this EU referendum about my choice and position. how does a digital nomad who is travelling vote on these things? what if your location independent but a citizen of a country and you did not know about this important vote?
but also what if you wanted to be country agnostic and work anywhere with anyone in the world across borders. just how would you navigate such a process? of course, for me, the one solution is the Estonia e-residency card I have. I’ll always have a basecamp, bank account, and business there BUT I can travel anywhere. I can commute between countries and work globally as long as I have a digital basecamp of a dashboard to access the needed financial and business paperwork that often pops up.
bitterness from years of fighting against the system and not conforming, wearing a ready to go suit, smile and nodding dog style approach to the lazy speed that business and startup culture in the UK have become has made me retract myself from anything society like. I just want to be able to work, across any border in the world from a computer, do my digital billing, pay whatever taxes are required for that country that has my account setup and goes about my life.
in some ways, I’d like to be country agnostic. a problem is we cannot do that, we have to be a citizen of somewhere (unless maybe we have our own island right?) on planet earth, we have a requirement to be known to someone, somewhere. it’s part of being a citizen of a society that we are afforded passports, credit ratings and such like.
how do you function if you don’t want those things, to be just digitally nomadic and country agnostic at the same time. people are often head hunted in the digital arena for their talents and the country of origin is often effected by the ‘poaching’ of that talent, that income paying into the origins country baseline gdp.
if the workers and the talent are always on the move between countries how does a country generate it’s income then? raising taxes, cutting back on developments and repairs maybe, some places without the correct planning could be ghost towns and cities very easily i guess.
i may have a super simple view of life (and i’m fine with it) but i really don’t want to engage with the ‘world outside my window’ at times. so much pain and anger, so much greed and manipulation, so much noise and conversations of power play data exchanges, media snippits and soundbites. i’m just done with it.
i just want to make what i love, share my wisdom that i collected along the way for others to hopefully adapt to their own tastes and learn from without all the politics involved. the world is ever more becoming more connected, more distributed, more spread out across countries borders.
people constantly on the move between cities, digital workers holed up in coffee shops across the land feeding the digital machine in the pursuit of funds to maintain their lifestyles and careers while underneath the system hive mind continues to play catchup with an ever changing world. it’s a super fine balance, i’m not sure if both are ever going to be in sync.
so whatever the outcome today in the brexit here in the uk i hope your enjoying your life, adapting to everything going on around you and your finding your place in the world. i’ll be really interested to hear from anyone who is always on the go from place to place and how you deal with visas, access, travel and location. what power hacks have you found that work well in your life?
leave your comments below i’d love to hear from you! 🙂
if you want to check out the premium classes on skillshare i have a special offer for you — get THREE months (90 days) access to skillshare premium by clicking the link at the end of the short video below or clicking here.
Get premium access to the course for just $0.99 AND three months access to 5000 more tutors and premium content by using my link – http://skl.sh/1VGjQhM
Free & Premium Skillshare Courses
- Logitech C920 Webcam Setup Tips on the Mac » http://skl.sh/1Xc2AC0 [torrent]
- Making a Skillshare Course – My Process Shared » http://skl.sh/1XEbOIm [torrent]
- Building a WordPress Traffic Generation Network » http://skl.sh/1RJSJvi [torrent]
- Virtual Worker Income – Cambly, VidMob and Fiverr » http://skl.sh/1ZoXMrd [torrent]
- What can Slack Do? – The Slack Primer » http://skl.sh/1ZjMXqc [torrent]
- The Brand Advocate Primer – Promote, Empower & Engage » http://skl.sh/1ZphkLY [torrent]
- The Long Tail of Vanity Urls – Buying and Selling » http://skl.sh/1YpBHu3 [torrent]
- Amplifying your Twitter Promotion with Twibble.io » http://skl.sh/1ZRwj1w [torrent]
- E-Residency is Awesome – The Why » http://skl.sh/29xkgrF [torrent]
- DIY Digital Promotion Tools for Building Referrals » http://skl.sh/29BexNo
- Distributing Digital Content Using BitTorrent Now » http://skl.sh/29P1g4K
- Using Medium for the Cost of a Domain Name » http://skl.sh/29UiKfR
- Making Closed Captions – Youtube + Rev + Fiver » http://skl.sh/29TpTyJ
- Pokemon Go for Parents » http://skl.sh/29JsicX
- HD Vine Videos Practitioner Guide » http://skl.sh/2a98eVM
- Setup FB Instant Articles + Google Amp + Wordpress » http://skl.sh/2abOdxU
- #SSSVEDA Tips for Surviving a Video Blogging Month » http://skl.sh/2avaX6
- ‘Beyond the Vine’ Beta Overview & Guide » http://skl.sh/2aN4xTI
- Using SoundCloud as your Podcast Host » http://skl.sh/2aHmViU
- Practitioner Guide for 60 Second Instagram Video »http://skl.sh/2aDMXy9
- Optimising your Connection for Video Chats » http://skl.sh/2aEdX07
- Protect ‘Yo Self – VPN & USB Blockers » http://skl.sh/2bMP4nl
- Getting Started with Instagram Stories » http://skl.sh/2bnOApE
- Worlds Cheapest Cloud Backup & Dropshare 4 Walkthrough » http://skl.sh/2bqGHzV
- Automated Live Video Stream with Audience Development 24/7 » http://skl.sh/2bLh3Uf
- 20 Awesome Web Tools – Get Productive! [pt1] » http://skl.sh/2c3ozba
- Using Text Expander to Become a Keyboard Ninja » http://skl.sh/2buqidu
- Things to Consider Before Co-Working » http://skl.sh/2cglUKz
- Digital Nomad Six Areas of Concentration » http://skl.sh/2bYXQhL
- Getting your Environment Ready for Digital Course Making » http://skl.sh/2cnmhUm
- Day Trading Attention with Digital Platforms » http://skl.sh/2cnCXLi
remember to set a calendar if you do NOT wish to use skillshare premium after three months because they will charge you for a year of access around $98 after the three month period. hopefully thou by then you will see the value of the training courses over on skillshare.
Sharing the Awesome
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.